Chobe Game Lodge
The only permanent Lodge situated inside the Chobe National Park
Being the only permanent lodge located within
the Chobe National Park in Botswana, Chobe Game Lodge has a distinct
edge over the many other lodges situated outside of the park. All the
other lodges are located together in the town of Kasane, but this lodge is on it’s own, surrounded by national park with stunning views
over the Chobe River and it’s flood plains which are traditionally
teaming with animals and birdlife.
It is a luxury lodge as is reflected in
the prices. Here you will be totally pampered, enjoy fantastic cuisine,
sleep in absolute luxury and have the safari experience of a lifetime.
It’s reputation speaks for itself, probably gaining initial notoriety
when Liz Taylor and Richard Burton got remarried here in the 1970’s. The
Moorish architecture and lush tranquil gardens at Chobe Game Lodge, I
must say do give it a
rather splendid feel.
It’s a large lodge accommodating up to 94 guests in 47 bedrooms so although
the staff are extremely hospitable friendly and accommodating it is not the same
intimate experience that one would have in an exclusive 20 bed safari camp, but
for some that is not what they want and prefer the luxury of a larger
As Chobe Game Lodge is right on the river they
can offer both land and water based activities. A choice of morning and
afternoon, drives and river cruise are all included in the price. Being
inside the park gives you more game viewing time than those lodges based outside the park.
Chobe National Park is famous for having the largest elephant
concentrations in Africa. In the dry season (July to October) not only do
these enormous herds of elephant gather but also large herds of buffalo congregate along the
Chobe River’s fertile flood plains which has the only water and
grazing in the area. Sightings of
giraffe, sable, roan antelope, painted dog, lion, red lechwe and puku are
also common to mention just a few.
During the green season (Dec to April) much of this
game disperses inland, natures way of allowing the floodplains to
restore themselves. However resident game is always present, just not in
the intense volume of the dry season. The green season has the advantage
of seeing hundreds of newly born plains game and an absolute profusion of plant
Accommodation prices at Chobe Game Lodge vary through out the year according to the seasons and the peak tourism
times. Green season rates literally being half the cost of the peak season.
Some trip advisor reviews rave about the game guides others say they are
appalling. My view on this is that Chobe Game Lodge is "a hotel in a game park". One of the
best game parks in Africa which teams with game in the dry season and the game
viewing therefore speaks for itself. Guiding here however I believe will not be
of the same standard as in a smaller exclusive safari camp, which offer a more
intense wildlife experience.
• Quick and easy access to the Chobe National Park as it is the only lodge located within the park.
• Exclusive riverside location with stunning views over the Chobe
river and it’s flood plains
• Large Lodge with 47 bedrooms all of which have river facing views
• Expensive, luxury lodge (5 star) with a strong reputation.
• Well known for it’s outstanding cuisine
• Championship sized billiard
table, well stocked reference library, gym and beauty salon.
• All inclusive in-house land and water based game activities
• Accommodation prices vary considerably according to the seasons
Accommodation at Chobe Game Lodge
• 43 Standard rooms
• 4 Exclusive Suites with a separate lounge and private plunge pool
• A total of 94 guests can be accommodated
All rooms have:
• Private terraces
• Suites have their own plunge pool
• All rooms are stylishly decorated with paintings and original
River facing views (in some rooms natural bush does obscure a clear
• Only lodge in the Chobe National Park
• Absolute luxury
• Great additional facilities (salon, gym, library, billiard table)
• Lovely location with great views of the Chobe River and
• Direct access to Chobe National Park which is home to thousands of elephants, buffalo
and other wildlife
• Can accommodate large numbers of people for weddings,
Game Lodge is well renowned for it’s copious amounts of excellent
food. These buffet meals are served at either the terrace restaurant in
the main complex overlooking the Chobe River or on the grassy banks of
the riverside Boma where
there is also traditional dancers in the evening to entertain you.
Private romantic dinners under the stars can be arranged for special
occasions. These really do add a memorable touch to a honeymoon,
birthday or anniversary.
Facilities and Services
• All inclusive land and water based game viewing activities.
• Drives are in 4×4 vehicles with open sides to ensure greater
visibility, river cruises are in
small but highly manoeuvrable, shallow draft boats.
• Mosi-oa-Tunya the double-decker river
cruiser offers evening sunset cruises on the Chobe river, stargazing
on the upper deck is a treat
• In-house beautician
and beauty salon
• Broadband internet
access is available at the Thwene bar at an additional cost
• Adequate cell phone signal is available around most of the grounds,
but the use of modern technology is not encouraged and not allowed in
public areas or on game drives
• Stylish cigar bar (Thwene bar) with a champion
sized billiard table
• Well-stocked reference library with lounge
• Well stocked curio shop
• Large swimming pool
• Electricity is available 24 hours a day so electrical equipment can be recharged in guest rooms.
Fully equipped and air conditioned conference room catering for up to
• Visa and MasterCard accepted
Children of all ages are welcome however families with children under
six years old will be asked to book private activities at an
additional cost. Under 15 year olds must share accommodation
with a parent, however this is not available or possible in a suite. No childcare or babysitting service
is provided and children remain the responsibility
of their parents at all times.