Ngoma Safari Lodge
Intimate 5 star safari lodge within the Chobe Forest Reserve
Ngoma Safari Lodge is another Africa Albida Tourism gem, but one with a difference. The lodge, which opened in 2011, is community and privately owned and funded. This means that the people living in the area benefit in a variety of ways and locals are employed by the lodge.
The five star safari lodge is located in northern Botswana within the Chobe Forest Reserve on a small private concession, close to the Ngoma gate entrance of the Chobe National Park. Ngoma Safari Lodge is situated along the Chobe River, adjacent to the Caprivi floodplains, 55km from Kasane (a town in Botswana), 135km from the Victoria Falls (Zimbabwe), and 7km from the Namibian border.
The Ngoma Safari Lodge has eight luxury suites in total, two of which are triples. Each room has 2 three-quarter size beds, which can be converted into a king-sized bed. The triples have an Indian day bed, which sleep one additional guest. All rooms are en-suite, and have a private outdoor shower as well. Each suite is equipped with a ceiling fan, air conditioning, mosquito nets, a mini-bar and a safe.
From each of the bedrooms and the private patio, which is on the outside of each luxury suite, there are breath-taking views of the plains and the Chobe River where you are likely to see groups of zebras, elephants, kudu, impala, sable, buffalo and other animals. Each suite has also has a private plunge pool.
In the common main area of Ngoma Safari Lodge, you will find the reception, as well as the dining room, sitting room and bar. Out on the deck, also with a splendid view of the plains and the river, is a plunge pool and separate seating area.
Activities to be enjoyed at Ngoma Safari Lodge include bird watching, game walks (accompanied by an armed guide), game drives (day or night), river cruises on the Chobe, as well as picnic lunches and sundowners. Some game drives and walks including the night drives are conducted on its own private concession but many of the game drives take you into the Chobe National Park through the Ngoma gate entrance.
This is a truly 5 star luxury lodge which has been well designed and built with all the latest modern comforts and features. Its elevated position on a ridge offers breath-taking views across the Chobe floodplains. Being located close to the Ngoma gate on the western side of the Chobe National park is, in our opinion, a massive advantage as this end of the park has far less tourists than the very busy area around Kasane where most of the hotels and lodges are situated. For clarity Chobe in the peak season is a popular and busy park, but this side of the park has less tourists so here you will be able to enjoy a game viewing experience without the barrage of other game viewing vehicles on day trips. Being a small intimate lodge means that at Ngoma Safari Lodge, you will get a more personalised safari experience unlike Chobe Game lodge for instance which is essentially a big hotel.
The outstanding elevated views across the flood plains allow for game viewing right from your comfy bed or your own private patio. On the plains there is resident game all year round, but in the peak game viewing season from July to October, as the water recedes from the floodplains, literally thousands of animals can be seen on the plains below you – a truly remarkable privilege and spectacle.
Despite the fact that this lodge is situated far from the maddening crowd, Ngoma Safari Lodge still has easy access via a good tar road from Kasane. This transfer takes about an hour which in itself is a game drive where I would be highly surprised if you did not see elephant and other species.
We would highly recommend staying at this lodge for the reasons we have given above.
• Opened 2011, community and privately owned
• Located in northern Botswana near the Botswana-Namibia border, 135km from the Victoria Falls
• Eight en-suite luxury suites with private outdoor patio with table and chairs, private pool, and outside shower
• Suites equipped with air conditioning, ceiling fans, mosquito net, mini bar and safe
• Dining room, sitting room and bar in main common area, with pool, sundeck and seating area in the back
• Outdoor activities include birding, game walks and drives, cruising on the Chobe River, picnic lunches and sun downers, within their private concession and the Chobe National Park
Accommodation at Ngoma Safari Lodge
• Eight safari suites, 2 of them triples
• Three-quarter bed with king size option
All rooms have:
• En-suite bathroom, his and her wash basins, and shower
• Air conditioning, ceiling fans, mosquito nets, mini bar and safe
• Private outdoor patio with table and chairs, private pool, and outside shower
• Mini bar, tea and coffee facilities for each suite
• Guest dining room and bar in the main area of the lodge
• Fine dining
• Room service
Facilities and Services
• 5 star bush lodge
• Private pool and outside area for each suite
• Main guest area consisting of the reception, sitting room, dining room, bar, swimming pool, deck with outside seating
• Internet and communication facilities
• Secure parking
• Wedding and honeymoon facilities
• Wheelchair accessible
• Airport shuttle
• Laundry service
Fully Inclusive Rates include
• Full Board
• All house beverages
• Scheduled activities
• Road transfers from Kasane or Kazungula borders
• Park fees and community levy
Fully Inclusive Rates exclude
• Premium beverages
• Shop purchases
• Private vehicle activities
No children under the age of 10 unless if you are block-booking the entire lodge, in which case each child pays 65% of the adult sharing rate.